Thursday, January 13, 2011

Smacking the alarm to hush it’s cries I slowly wake up. My warm feet pressing against the cold ground. Sleeping lungs awoken by the afternoon air. My suit laid out on the chair ironed and ready. I dress myself in the mirror making sure not to miss a button. You always made fun of me for missing buttons: “You’ve been doing this for fifteen years and yet you still miss a button, silly man.” All my buttons aligned. Tie tied right. Pants and belt on. Jacket resting on my shoulders and a freshly combed beard. ”I sure hope her parents don’t bring up grandchildren again.” I whispered to myself while fixing my hair.

The gate cired like it always does. Your father and mother in their regular spots. I sat across from you and adjusted my tie.

“Your mother liked her flowers”..

“I still think your father hates me”

Twirling my fingers while I stare at my shoes.

“Well..the place on Elm is still for sale, I know we can’t afford it right now but it’s nice to dream.”

Fixing my already fixed hair.

“I’ve missed you at my place, you left your brush on my nightstand. I was going to clean it for you but I know you like to do things a certain way”

Looking forward.

“You know I love you..right? I always will. I always have. Jenny and Ted invited us to one of those dress up parties. I know you hate those kind of things but I thought it’d be nice to go”

“Yeah you’re right, let’s just stay in tonight”

“Sir. Sir.” I look around to see a man in his blue jumpsuit with part of his supper still in his beard. “Sir, it’s after 8 I’ve gotta close this place up.” sighing. “A few more minutes?” he gives me a look of obligation. “Sorry sir, it’s cemetery policy. not mine.” “I understand” I say while brushing the dirt off the back of my pants. “I’ll see you tomorrow dear. Sleep well, I’ll be sure to say night to your parents. I still think your dad doesn’t like me. Night”

No comments:

Post a Comment