Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dirty old creek rock on my chest.

She made me kiss a rock once, did I ever tell you that? It was the same summer she stopped talking to me because she started to shave her legs. even though there was nothing to shave. “it’s there. you just can’t see it.” I’d just snarl my nose and run off to catch some frogs. Now back to how she made me kiss a rock. She knew I loved her. She knew that every boy loved her but she had a special liking towards me. She asked me if I ever thought about kissing her. Of course I said no. but she knew I watched those lips of hers. if she knew I practiced on the back of my hand or a pillow she’d make fun of me but deep down she’d be impressed. We were picking up creek rocks to build a dam down on Old Sacklers creek, he was a gentle man with a firm heart but he didn’t mind us messing around with his creek as long as we didn’t spook the cows. She threw a piece of mud at me and shouted out: “Go stand beside that tree and put your hand on your head and the other in your back pocket” “why?!” I shouted back while picking the mud out of my ear. “Im gonna kiss you silly, and thats how grown ups kiss.” I knew she was wrong but that small part of me thought maybe. just maybe she was right so I stood beside the tree and I placed one hand on my head that was hot from the good Lords sun and the other in my back pocket. well what little was left of it. I lost the back part of my britches last week when I was running from this duck. yes a duck. they can be mean when you’re messing with the eggs. She walked over and told me to close my eyes. She said something about how grown ups when they kiss they like to close their eyes because it makes them feel like it’s a dream or something like that. So I shut my eyes and waited. Before I could even get into that grown up dream I felt a warm wetness press up against my lips. I held my eyes shut for a few seconds before opening them to see her standing there with a hand covering her mouth and the other holding a rock up to my lips. “damit all!! I have no need to be kissing creek rocks.” I stormed off and cussed her silly name all the way home. She stopped talking to me that summer because she started to shave her legs and hang out with the boys who had hairs on their lips. We went our seperate ways. She told everyone about me kissing that old creek rock. But what she didn’t tell them mustached boys and shaved legged gals was that two nights after she tricked me she climbed up the tree behind our house and snuck in my window. She laid down beside me in my bed that didn’t even fit me and played with an old creek rock. the same one that she made me kiss. We didn’t say a word. I could hear her breathing and slightly dozing off but I didn’t close my eyes once. or my ears. I took in every second. every sound and every breath. She eventually rose up looked at me with eyes that had so much to say. so much potential. she took that old creek rock and kissed it. laid it on my chest and went out my window. We didn’t speak for many years after that but occasionally we’d steal a glance at each other and just grin. I still have that old creek rock. I’m sure when I get to be an old man and they decide to put me in the ground the people will look in my casket and wonder why theres a dirty old creek rock on my chest

No comments:

Post a Comment